I found it incredibly overwhelming when I first tried to revamp my environment to be less toxic (find out why here). If you're in the midst of the same process, I'm sharing these resources to help it be less time-consuming for you! I'll continue to add to these lists as I find more favorites and am happy to answer any questions about this information. I only share products I've used myself.
If you're a fan of DIY projects, many cleaning and personal care products can be made in a quick and affordable way at home. Take a look at the ingredient labels of your products and you'll see many have essential oils. These highly researched, natural multi-purpose powerhouses are in your life already more than you know! If you're interested in learning more or ordering some for yourself, my favorite brand is DōTERRA and you can order through me here.
I've personally used them even more for other purposes, such as stress relief, sleep, and when I need a non-caffeinated energy boost! These are just a few of the other well-researched ways oils can be used to help you restore your energy and feel like your best self.
Questions? Shoot me an email!
Personal Care PRODUCTS
- Body wash or hand soap (+ a million other uses): Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap
- Acure Organics Shampoo and Conditioner (I typically buy on Thrive Market- see link below for more info)
- Face wash: Avalon Organics Facial Cleansing Milk
- Face exfoliator: Acure Brightening Facial Scrub
- Face mask: Aztek Indian Healing Bentonite Clay or SW Basics Hibiscus Mask
- Makeup Remover (especially great for eye makeup): Jojoba Oil
- Moisturizer (body or heavier face cream): SW Basics Cream
- Moisturizer (a little thick but I use it year round): Myrrhaculous Face Cream by Fatco
- Deodorant: Fatco Stank Stop, Primal Pit Paste, Schmidt's, or Thai Crystal Stone have all worked for me (you'll want to test a bunch to see what works for you! I went through about 15+ different kinds. Baking soda can irritate your armpits so try a baking soda free option if so. This is a good roundup of other options!
- Facial Spray (game changer for keeping skin hydrated on flights!): SW Basics Rosewater Spray
- Toner: Thayer's Alcohol Free Rose with Aloe Vera
- FINALLY found mascara that's natural and doesn't melt down my face! Lily Lolo is my favorite but sometimes hard to get, so my backup is 100% Pure (great products and commitment to non-toxic options at both sites). Also love these eye masks!
- This stuff is gold - Juice Beauty face moisturizer with SPF 30 (available not tinted too)
- I use Beautycounter for my body SPF (it's the BEST nontoxic option I've found after trying about five kinds), concealer, bronzer, and eye cream.
- I use Tea Tree oil for any blemishes or blend Jojoba Oil (linked above) with Frankincense and Lavender for an anti-aging and calming treatment. Here's more research on oils for skin treatment - happy to answer any questions!
- I don't do my nails too often, but when I do I go with Zoya and it lasts!
- Wink thermometer for getting to know your body and reproductive health better
- Sustain Natural for chemical-free feminine care products
- Dry Skin Brush removes dead skin cells and good for lymphatic system
- Jade Roller improves circulation and reduces puffiness
health/beauty books and resources
- Skin Cleanse: this is a fantastic resource for learning more about the beauty industry and the importance of non-toxic products and healthy foods for clear skin. Tons of DIY recipes in there too! If you're interested in learning more about essential oils, her new book "Just the Essentials: How Essential Oils Can Heal Your Skin, Improve Your Health, and Detox Your Life" is great too.
- Go with your Gut: this could go in this section or the next, because it's truly a holistic take on creating a healthy lifestyle. Lots of tips for self-care (as well as recipes for food and pantry staples to eat!).
- If you're wondering why I'm even talking about non-toxic products, this is a great place to look. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) created Skin Deep, a database to provide transparency about the potential health implications of certain products. Since the EU has banned over 1300 chemicals from use in personal products, and the US has only partially banned 30, this can be a fantastic resource for taking safety into your own hands.
Some self care resources:
If you're interested in learning more about work life balance, Your Work Your Life… Your Way by Julie Cohen is fantastic.
The five minute journal: A Happier You in 5 Minutes A Day by Intelligent Change
Clean kitchen/home products
- Help your sleep with less harsh lighting before bed + purify your air with a Himalayan Salt lamp
- Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent packs
- Wool Dryer Balls (Amazing! I add essential oils)
- Planet 2x Ultra Laundry Detergent, free and clear
- Babyganics Floor Cleaner Concentrate
- Murchison-Hume Glass and Mirror Polish
- Cast Iron Pan: Lodge Skillet
- Wine that's organic and additive free (it's all about balance right?!)
- Make veggie zoodles: Inspiralizer
- Smoothie or soup makin' machine: Nutribullet
- Immersion Blender: Cusinart Smart Stick
- Brew your own tea or cold brew coffee: Muslin Bags
- Glass Tupperware: Pyrex
- For speedy water boiling: Electric Kettle
- Smoothie transport/Storage of bulk items (oats, nuts): Mason Jars
- Reusable produce bags and microfiber cleaning towels
- Smoothie staples I keep on hand: Chia seeds, Cacao powder, Hemp seeds
- Did you know you should aim to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water daily? Fun water bottles help you stay hydrated. :) I was obsessed with my Bkr Bottle but after I broke it I went with the Mira, a cheaper version of the trending insulated water bottles
- more to come!
CLEAN home books and resources
- Similar to the guide above, EWG has a database for household products
- Thrive Market: I get most of my pantry staples from here- they offer "natural and organic products for less" this link gives you 15% off your first order
- Toxic Home Makeover: a free guide on potential hazards to consider
This website contains affiliate links. I may receive monetary compensation for my link to some of the products or services from this site. I strictly only recommend/endorse products and services that I personally have experience with, believe in, and stand behind. Thank you for visiting Aspire with Aileen!